Roulette is an easy to learn game that everyone can play. At Lucky Creek, you can play roulette online for real money or play for fun. Our mobile-friendly roulette and online casino games are powered by BetSoft, Saucify and Rival software. Sign up now to receive a 100% welcome bonus up to $500.
Roulette is a casino game named after the French word meaning little wheel.
But there’s nothing “small” about this immensely popular form of gambling.
If you consider that this game has been played in its current form since 1796, you may gain even more respect for a gambling game that has stood the test of time.
Quite literally, the spinning roulette wheel has witnessed history in the making.
From the battlefields of Ancient Rome to Greek Soldiers passing the time by spinning their shields or a chariot wheel between bloody battles, the game has kept up with the ever changing times and was the jewel in the crown of the very first official modern casino in Monaco during the 1840’s, called the Monte Carlo Casino Resort and it attracted the richest and most esteemed Europeans and reintroduced them to the game of roulette.
The most well known form of roulette has always been that of the spinning roulette wheel in a brick-and-mortar casino, but more recently, since 1994, online casinos changed the accessibility of gambling forever.
The Numbers on the Wheel
The numbers of the by now famous roulette wheel do not follow consecutively.
Playing Online Roulette
With all the exciting games like poker, blackjack and slot machines now available in the comfort of your home and on your mobile device, roulette did not hang back in the trenches. It evolved and made a robust comeback to popularity.
Strategy and Tips
Roulette is about more than just spinning a wheel and holding thumbs that the little white ball will land on your lucky number after bouncing and hopping around crazily. You’ve got to know the rules of roulette to get the best bang for your buck. No matter your strategy, there is none that can help you predict which number will win. Roulette players often boast of a system, and many professionals study a certain table and croupier’s actions before placing a bet, but in all honesty, all of this is mute. Online roulette, just like it’s land-based version, remains a game of chance. A very, VERY fun game of chance if you know what you’re doing. You can choose between a variety of options to place bets:
On a single number; various groupings of numbers, the colors red or black, whether the number is odd or even, or if the numbers are high (19–36) or low (1–18) and you’ll notice they’re split evenly. This graphic illustrates the layout of an online casino roulette game, and you’ll notice that it’s no different from what you imagine to encounter in a brick-and-mortar casino. Different bets pay at different odds. You can increase your odds by spreading your bets across different numbers. Of course, if you’re confident that your lucky number will bring that jackpot win, you can place your entire bet on a single.
In a brick-and-mortar casino, you place your bets by placing your chips on a single number, various numbers, black or red, or any of the other options, until a croupier calls out “last bets”. The croupier then spins the roulette wheel in one direction while he/she spins the small white ball in the opposite direction.
The ball runs along a tiled track at the outer edge of the wheel, and it loses momentum it drops onto the wheel where it bounces between one of 37 numbers if you’re playing European Roulette or 38 numbers if you’re playing American Roulette. The difference is due to the fact that European Roulette only has a single zero, whilst American Roulette has a double zero.
When the ball eventually settles in a small pocket, numbered and colored either black or red, you’ll know whether your lucky number of hunch paid off. Once the winning number is determined, the croupier places a marker (know incidentally as a dolly) on that number and uses a rake-like tool to gather all the unsuccessful chips on the table. The online roulette versions mimics the physical game exactly, so if you’re familiar with sitting around a roulette table, you’ll feel right at home.
Hot Tip: At Lucky Creek online casino, we recommend you play European Roulette.
What is an outside bet?
This refers to all numbers, including red and black, even and odd, as well as groups of numbers that are high and low. Outside bets typically have a better chance of hitting and therefore the payout is less.
What is an inside bet?
This works with the inside of the table where the individual numbers are found. This includes the zero or double zero, depending on the type of roulette you’ve chosen to play.
Choose your favorite numbers or split your bet between two, four or six numbers by placing your bet on a line, corner or street.
What is covering the board?
Some players refer to this as “covering the table” and this strategy involves placing bets on the majority of the numbers. Kind of like a blanket bet.
With so few numbers for you to lose out on, you are fairly certain of small wins on almost every spin of the roulette wheel, however, you need to have a big budget to start this process and when you lose, well, you lose it all.
5 Online Roulette Tips
- Play European Roulette
- Only Play at a reputable online casino such as Lucky Creek Online Casino
- Play the Outside
- Increase your odds on the Inside
- Go slow. It gives you longevity and affords you time to get used to the game & try out different betting options.
Play for Real Money
At Lucky Creek Online Casino you can play roulette for real money. This distinction is important, because many online casino offer you the opportunity to play for free – but remember, then you can’t take your wins home. Imagine how devastating it would be if you hit it big and you didn’t make a deposit...Our online roulette games are all in gorgeously realistic graphics with a very authentic look and feel. Prepare to be amazed.
Let’s put a spin on the different betting options
To play like a pro, we’re here to help you get the lingo down. You’ll quickly get the hang of it, and the terminology explains exactly what each betting option means in terms of bet placed, versus money won.
- If you choose RED / BLACK it pays 1 to 1, meaning if you placed a $1 bet and your color won, you would receive a $2 payout.
- By choosing a color, you basically cover all the numbers on the table that have that color.
- This option is also known as RED / BLACK.
Odds or Evens
- This betting option also pays 1 to 1.
- Again, if you choose i.e.: ODDS, and the ball lands on an odd number, your $1 bet will yield a $2 win.
- This option is also known as EVEN / ODD.
Low or High
- This option also pays 1 to 1. Low Numbers are 1 to 18 and High Numbers are those from 19 to 36.
- If the ball lands on a Low Number and you’ve chosen that betting option, then you will get $2 for your $1 bet.
- Here you are starting to raise the stakes a bit. Choosing Dozens, you are now looking at a payout of 2 to 1.
- The Dozens are divided into three groups of numbers.
- Dozens 1 cover number 1 to 12; Dozens 2 covers numbers 13 to 24 and Dozens 3 cover numbers 25 to 36.
- There are 3 columns and they pay 2 to 1. The math is as follows. If you bet $1 and win $2, you pocket $3.
- The columns are divided as follows:
Column 1: 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31, 34
Column 2: 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29, 32, 35
Column 3: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36
6 Line or Transversal
- The stakes are getting higher with this betting option, and therefore, so does your winnings.
- Your $1 bet will yield a win of $5 so that you get paid $6 with the 5 to 1 ratio.
- With this betting option your bet covers any two adjacent rows of three numbers each.
- This option is also known as a SIX NUMBER bet.
- This option pays 6 to 1, and you can work it out like this:
$1 bet + $6 winnings = $7.
- The numbers that you cover with this betting option is 0, 00, 1, 2, 3
- This option is also known as a FIVE NUMBER bet.
- This betting option is only available on roulette games where a double zero is present.
- To play, place your bet on the corner that connects the 0 and the 1 to 12 boxes.
- The house has a bigger edge on this bet, and many die-hard roulette fans advise to avoid this option.
What do you think?
Corner Bet or Square
- This betting options covers four numbers and pays 8 to 1.
- Your $1 bet on a winning number will result in a $8 win so that you get $9 back.
- Placing this bet means that you cover any four numbers that form a square.
- This option is also known as FOUR NUMBERS.
- Paying 11 to 1, your $1 bet will result $11 winnings for a $12 payout, and you covered any row of three numbers.
- This option is also known as a THREE NUMBER bet.
- Paying 17 to 1, your $1 bet will result in $17 winnings for a take home of $18.
- Very simple to understand, your bet covered any 2 adjacent numbers of your choice.
- This option is also known as a TWO NUMBER bet.
- Now we get to the really big bucks. If you’ve got the nerve and conviction that the number or numbers of your choice are spot on, and you cover a single number, you will win at 35 to 1.
- A $1 bet plus $35 in wins equals a total $36.
- If you love a bit of an adrenaline rush, place a $200 bet on that special number and walk away with a whopping $7200!
Pick your Play Properly
Roulette is no different from any other casino game in that the house always also wants a piece of the spinning pie.
Here’s a rough idea of what you’re looking at for the different types of roulette variants:
- European roulette has a house edge of 2.70%
- French Roulette has a house edge of 2.70%
- American Roulette has a house edge of 5.26%
The Roulette Variants
Here’s an easy guide to spot the roulette variants and tips to plan your strategy.
- Tell Tale: Double Zero right next to the single zero.
- House Edge: 5.4%
- Hot Tip: Online versions of American Roulette have double the house edge compared to European Roulette, and that’s why recommended earlier in this article that European Roulette is your best bet at Lucky Creek.
- Tell Tale: One green zero only.
- House Edge: 2.7%
- Hot Tip: The most user-friendly option to play.
Remember, you can’t make use of the five-number betting option if there’s only one zero.
Many casinos, especially in North America, favor the double zero option because this literally doubles their advantage and that means doubling their profits.
We hope this article gives you enough information so that can spot the difference and make an informed decision when you sit down to spin the wheel.
Known for it’s well known “race track”, French Roulette is by far the best option with half the house edge of European Roulette, but very difficult to find.
The mentioned race track is a special section on the layout of the table that literally looks like a race track - hence the name.
This section affords players a convenient and easy way to bet on different combinations of numbers and has three main fixed bets and one variable bet.
Typically, the numbers on the felt portion of the game appear in a different order than those on the roulette wheel, and the race track allows specific groupings that aren’t possible using the usual number layout.
Here is a quick guide for those that are lucky enough to find an authentic, online french roulette version.
Voisins du Zero
For those not familiar with French, Voisins du Zero means Neighbors of Zero.
Covering 17 numbers situated closest to the zero on the actual roulette wheel, it entails nine betting units. Because some of the bets are necessarily split between more than one number, your payouts may vary depending on which number the ball settles on.
Tiers du Cylindre
This section translates to Third of the Cylinder and cover the 12 numbers situated more or less opposite the green zero on the roulette wheel. It entails six betting units which are each split between two numbers so the payout on a winner is always 17 to 1.
Easy to translate, this section is called Orphans, and includes the eight outstanding numbers that aren't covered in the Voisins du Zero or Tiers du Cylindre betting options. Entialing five betting units that are split among the eight numbers, you have a straight bet on the number 1 and the remainder of the units are divided between two numbers with overlapping bets on number 17.
In French it’s Voisins, and this betting option is a straight bet on one number, as well as a straight bet on the two numbers flanking that number on the actual roulette wheel.
This is a straight bet and entails five betting units, and the payout on a winning number is always 35 to 1.
We hope you enjoy your spinning and winning at Lucky Creek Online Casino!
Contact us at any time if you have any questions.